Cover letters are your first chance to make a good impression; it is essential to make sure that your cover letter is perfect. A cover letter should not have any flaws and should really catch the attention of the person you are writing to. Here are some helpful tips, which I came up with- along with some supportive websites for more additional advice/tips of how to write a cover letter.
1. The presentation of the cover letter is very important; because this is the first item a potential employer is seeing. Presentation can include; layout, format, font choice, correct usage of grammar, and whether there is an introduction, body and a conclusion.
2. I believe it is also important to keep the letter very straightforward, not too long- but make sure the letter covers your most important attributes and skills (experience) you could possibly bring to the company.
3. I believe that it is also very important to have someone review your cover letter. Whether it is someone you know or do not know, you could always ask them after reviewing it, if they found you (or your cover letter) as someone/something that would be able to stand out from others.
4. It is also imperative to really get the attention of the person you are writing to. Make sure to start with a strong opening and end with a well-written even stronger closing.
5. DON’T FORGET to sign the cover letter!
6. For PR majors: It is also important to include any and all social media skills, if you are applying for a job where it is necessary.
7. Make sure to include in your cover letter why you are sending your resume and what it is you are interested in, esp. if you have not had any previous contact/ communication with whom you’re writing to.
8. It is important to thank the person you are writing to, for taking the time to consider you as a potential employee.
9. Make sure you do not send out the same cover letter to every job you are applying for, it is important to keep it specific or tailor it to the job/company that you sent your information to.
10. Try to avoid clichés or phrases that everyone else probably has written in their cover letter.
SITES THAT CAN BE HELPFUL IN WRITING YOUR COVER LETTER:
Cover Letter Do’s and Don’ts
10 Cover Letter Writing Tips
Cover Letter Tips for Students